- Multi-nationals must be checked to increase revenu...
- Minority accuses government of drawing money illeg...
- COCOBOD announces closure of main crop season
- Government to fight smuggling, counterfeiting and ...
- Small scale miners should pay appreciable taxes-Dr...
- Trade war between Ghana and Ivory Coast
- Ghana reaches last stage of MCC compact
- Ghana scores 63 per cent on Resource Governance In...
- WTC hold discussions on energy, environment and in...
- Australia gives impetus to farming activities
- Newmont to lay off 600 Ghanaians
- BGI to built Shopping Mall at Mallam
- Seminar on EPA organised for Parliamentarians
- Large quantities of foodstuffs stuck in Asunafo No...
- Vodafone wins seven awards
Category: Business & Economics Created on Monday, 16 January 2012 13:01 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 329
Accra, Jan 15, GNA – The Ghana Trades Union Congress (TUC) has called for an inquiry into the attack on a Daily Guide photographer, Miss Gifty Lawson and others, covering court proceedings at an Accra Human Rights Court in Accra on Thursday.
A statement issued and signed by Mr Kofi Asamoah, Secretary General of the Union and copied to the Ghana News Agency on Sunday said “information reaching the TUC suggests that not only were the journalists arrested, but in the process they were subjected to severe beatings.”
It noted that they were also threatened with death by gun-toting officers of the BNI for doing no more than their duty as journalist.
The statement explained that the news report have it that Gifty Lawson in particular “was roughly handled in a sexist and Chauvinist manner characteristic of male chauvinist that have little respect for womanhood.”
It said the union wished to state clearly that such conduct was not the type of behaviour expected from the BNI or any other security agencies in the country in the performance of their duties.
It therefore called on the authorities to bring the perpetrators to book to serve as a deterrent to all.
It also reiterated that the days when security agencies of the state acts with impunity were long gone and the people would no longer appease impun
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 30th May.