Category: Business & Economics Created on Thursday, 07 June 2012 08:32 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 288
Winneba, June 6, GNA- Vice President John Dramani Mahama, on Wednesday said that Government was initiating measures to stem the daily depreciation of the Ghana cedi against major currencies pf the world.
He mentioned the establishment of economic management team and economic advisory committee as some of the measures that were been instituted.
Vice President Mahama gave the assurance when he addressed the 11th Quadrennial Delegates Conference of the Maritime and Dockworkers Union (MDU), at Winneba in the Central Region.
The Union which represents workers engaged in inland waterways, seafaring, fishing, Dry Dock, harbour and terminal operations, destination inspection, and allied companies is one of the 18 National Unions affiliated to the Trades Union Congress.
Vice President Mahama said although the fall of the Ghana cedi had had negative repercussions on the economy and Ghanaians in general, Government was working around the clock to reduce importation.
He called on the Union to support Government functionaries in educating Ghanaians to patronise made in Ghana goods to help stabilise the Ghana cedi against other major currencies in the world.
Vice President Mahama promised that Government would resource the Inspectorate Division of the Ministry of Employment and Social Welfare, to help reduce industrial and occupational accidents that had characterised the labour front over the years.
He promised that Government would use part of the Chinese Development Loan to construct landing sites in all the major fishing and coastal areas of the country.
Brother Kofi Asamoah, Secretary General of the Trades Union Congress, called on Government to ignore government directive to remove all subsidies on fuel as that could have negative repercussions on the economy and individuals.
He appealed to employers to put in place adequate safety measures to make their workers comfortable and increase productivity in the country.
Brother Asamoah called for increment in salaries and other emoluments of workers in the face of depreciation of the Ghana cedi, which was rendering the meager salaries useless.
Brother Eben Narteh Mensah, General Secretary of MDU, asked Government to resource the Labour Department and the Labour Commission, to enable them to deliver on their mandate of protecting the labour sector.
- UK Chamber of Commerce trade delegation in Ghana t...
- US commits $200 million towards northern developme...
- MTN invests US$105 million in network infrastructu...
- Nominations opens for Ghana made products award 20...
- Ghana Aid Effectiveness Forum launches 2012 Budget...
- AGI launches 2nd Ghana Industry Awards
- Third tier pension could secure employees loyalty-...
- Projections in Budget Statement Understated-ACEP
- Parliament approves budget estimates for eight pub...
- US Ambassador to Ghana calls on Energy Minister
- NGO to aid producers of handicraft in U/E to impro...
- GIS impounds smuggled fuel and pharmaceutical Prod...
- Finance Minister urges private sector to invest in...
- Review the nation’s tax regime to save the priva...
- Ghanaian businesses in the oil sector must be empo...
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.