Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 13 March 2012 17:11 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 356
Accra, March 13, GNA- Patrick Kanji, a self-styled businessman who conspired with one Samuel Gyeke to defraud a businesswoman of GHc26,400 under the pretext of supplying her with 1,000 cartons of soya beans oil on Tuesday appeared before an Accra Circuit Court.
The two accused persons have been charged with two counts of abetment of crime and defrauding by false pretences contrary to section 131 of Act 29/60.
They pleaded not guilty to the charges and were admitted to bail in the sum of GHc50,000 cedis each with two sureties to be justified.
The Prosecutor, Chief Inspector Charles Chester presenting the facts of the case said the complainant, Catherine Aduniah is a businesswoman who lives at Ashongman whiles the first accused, Patrick Kanji also lives at Ashiyie.
He said in December 2010, the complainant had an order to supply 1,000 cartons of soya bean oil to NADMO, Accra.
He said Kanji who got wind of the information approached the complainant that he (Kanji) knew Samuel Gyeke who deals in oil and cold supply the consignment.
Chief Inspector Chester said on December 15, 2010, Kanji gave an International Commercial Bank account No.50200278603 belonging to Gyeke for the complainant to deposit GH26,400 being the cost of the soya bean oil through which Kanji could collect a chit from Gyeke for the collection of the oil from a warehouse.
He said however, after the payment of the money, Kanji could not produce the chit and went into hiding.
He said checks at the bank also revealed that Gyeke had gone to the bank to withdraw the amount and and had also gone into hiding.
Chief Inspector Chester said a report was made to the Police and the first accused was arrested whiles the second accused was still being sought.
He said on December 5, 2011 the second accused person was also arrested and upon investigation they admitted the offence and were subsequently charged.
- Court refuses objection over a letter
- Accountant jailed 15 years over theft
- Unemployed jailed 25 years for conspiracy
- Pastor held for Rape to seek bail at High Court
- Court remands unemployed for robbery
- Police Investigator testifies in Kombian's case
- Two cops on trial for narcotics
- Nkoranza police arrest alleged human trafficker
- Pupil Teacher defraud 17 people of Gh¢55,300
- Court remands Prophet Nkansah
- Unemployed man convicted for defiling girl, 13
- Farmer jailed for possessing firearm without autho...
- Blacksmith remanded for manufacturing firearms
- Staff of GCAA in court for defrauding Police Offic...
- Police quiz husband over wife’s murder
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 30th May.