Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 17 April 2012 09:02 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 283
Accra, April 16, GNA - The Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI), an international and independent non-governmental organisation, working to promote the practical realisation of human rights in Commonwealth Countries is organising a workshop on the Rights of Arrested Persons in Ghana.
The workshop which is part of CHRI's on-going Police Reform Project is scheduled for Takoradi on Wednesday, April 18.
A statement signed by Ms Mina Mensah, Greater Accra Regional Coordinator, and copied to Ghana News Agency, said the workshop would build the capacity of Community/Faith based organisations, in relation to arrest and detention, interrogation, legal aid and bail with the hope that, the knowledge acquired would be transferred to their communities to increase community and local advocacy for police reforms.
“Often due to lack of information, the Police, the arrested person and the community take these rights for granted, the result is that many persons regard violation of rights as the norm rather than the exception.”
This would invariably increase public awareness of policing in order to build local advocacy for police reform and enhance the respect for human rights by the police.
"Information on the topic has become increasingly important in this current era where democratic policing and respect for human rights is a key pillar of good governance, "the statement said.
It said Ghana deserved the best policing possible and it was in the best interest of the Police to have the public hold them in high esteem.
"This will only happen when the citizenry are well informed."
More than 50 participants, selected from Community/Faith Based Organizations, NCCE, CHRAJ, Legal Aid, the GPS and the media are expected to attend.
- Staff of GCAA in court for defrauding Police Offic...
- Police quiz husband over wife’s murder
- Three arrested for trading in counterfeit notes
- Police officer charged with robbery
- Supervisor fined 150 penalty units
- Pastor remanded for sodomy
- "I had cannabis sticks on me not the leaves" – a...
- Ghana airport security boss arrested in US drug bu...
- Driver remanded for possession human skeletons
- 42-year- old man defiles 12-year-old girl
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.