Category: Crime Created on Saturday, 21 April 2012 12:33 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 264
Kumasi, April 20, GNA - A member of a robbery gang that attacked a house at Fumesua-Amanfrom in the Ejisu-Juaben Municipality, where they shot and injured a nursing mother and her six-month old baby, has been sentenced to 40 years imprisonment by a Kumasi Circuit Court.
Ali Baba together with two others now on the run, Sulley and Awudu, robbed the household amidst firing of gunshots from locally manufactured pistols on July 29.
Pellets from their shots are still lodged in the breast of the victim mother while that of the baby had been removed from the chest by doctors.
Baba faced charges of conspiracy and robbery and pleaded not guilty.
A State Attorney, Mr Emmanuel Lawrence Kwadwo Otoo-Boison, told the Court presided over by Justice D.W.P Amedior that the convict and his accomplices used concrete blocks to break into the house at about at about 0130 hours.
They seized cellular phones, a digital camera, modem and cash totaling GH¢3,715.00 from their victims.
He said one of the victims managed to reach a neighbour on phone who alerted the Neighbourhood Watch Committee, who responded swiftly to the emergency.
On seeing them, the robbers took to their heels as they fired sporadically.
Members of committee returned fire and Baba was immobilized when bullets caught him in the right hand and left leg.
He was captured and handed over to the police at Ejisu.
The injured mother and baby were rushed to the Ejisu Government Hospital and later referred to Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH).
- "I had cannabis sticks on me not the leaves" – a...
- Ghana airport security boss arrested in US drug bu...
- Driver remanded for possession human skeletons
- 42-year- old man defiles 12-year-old girl
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.