Category: Crime Created on Wednesday, 25 April 2012 15:26 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 248
Accra, April 24, GNA - The Commercial Court in Accra hearing the suit brought against Alfred Agbesi Woyome, on Tuesday adjourned the case.
This is to allow the Appeal Court to determine an application filed by lawyers of Woyome against its earlier ruling to let the Attorney General (AG) to amend its motion.
The court said it could not proceed further on the matter until the determination of the appeal file by lawyers of Woyome at the Appeal Court.
It also directed the parties involved in the case to brief the court on the appeal process on May 15.
The lawyers of Woyome on April 3, announced that they had filed a motion at the Appeal Court asking the Commercial Court to stay proceedings until the determination of the case on April 18.
The Appeal Court adjourned the case sine die because both parties had not been served with copies of the applications for them to file their responses.
Meanwhile, the AG has told the Commercial Court that it had filed an application challenging the various costs awarded against it.
The court asked the AG to move the motion, and ut subsequently adjourned the case to April 30.
On January 16, this year, the former Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Mr Martin A.B.K. Amidu, filed an affidavit to amend an earlier writ, praying the court to set aside a consent judgment awarded to Woyome, which the A-G alleged was procured through fraud.
He said new information had come to the AG's attention, and that required an amendment to the writ of summons and statement of claim filed on August 18, 2010.
Mr Amidu in his amended writ said it had come to the AG's attention that Woyome lacked the legal capacity to maintain his claim against the A-G.
This was because there was no contract between Woyome and the Government of Ghana upon which Woyome could have maintained any cause of action in the suit.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.