Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 08 May 2012 09:08 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 263
Takoradi May 7, GNA –The Takoradi Circuit Court "A" on Monday sentenced Jerry John Kwofie, an illegal miner and a footballer, to two years imprisonment in hard labour for stealing an electricity generator valued atGHC 700.
He pleaded not guilty.
Abdul Wahab Iddrisu, an accomplice, who was jointly charged with him, was acquitted and discharged.
Prosecuting, Police Inspector Ben Annor, said at about 1000 hours on January 28 this year, Kwofie reported to the Takoradi Market Circle Police that one Billy had seized his generator that he brought down from Bibiani to Takoradi for repairs on the suspicion that it was a stolen item.
Later that same day, a witness in the case took the Honda KW7 generator to the Police Station saying that at about 0200 hours, a passenger left it in a taxi at Aponkyi Nkrakra, a suburb in Takoradi.
Inspector Annor said the passenger asked the driver to wait for him after alighting but he did not return, which made the driver to suspect that the generator was stolen.
He said Kwofie was invited to the Police Station and identified the generator as his, but during interrogation, admitted stealing it and brought it to Takoradi to sell.
Inspector Annor said the Police took Kwofie to Bibiani and he led the Police to a galamsey site at "Old Town" where he stole the generator.
Inspector Annor said later, Kwofie confessed that he stole the generator from Mempeasem, a suburb of Sekondi, together with Iddrisu, whose father owns the generator.
He said the Police took Kwofie to Mempeasem where Iddrisu was arrested but Iddrisu denied the offence in his caution statement.
Inspector Annor said one Baba Safo, father of Iddrisu, identified the generator as his property and after investigations, the accused persons were charged.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.