Category: Crime Created on Friday, 11 May 2012 08:36 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 225
Takoradi, May 10, GNA -- A circuit court ‘B’ in Takoradi, on Thursday remanded Madam Haggai Nkrumah, charged for illegal sale of public land and occupying Government bungalow illegally, into police custody.
Her plea was not taken, and the court adjourned proceedings to May 16.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Mr. Richard Boatey told the court presided over by Mr. Charles Bamford Nimako that the Madam Nkrumah had sold Government land and occupied Government bungalow at Windy Ridge, a suburb of Takoradi, without authorisation.
The prosecution said Madam Nkrumah resisted arrest when the police went to the bungalow on Wednesday May 9 to eject and apprehend her.
ASP Boatey said the Lands Commission made a complaint to the police that the suspect had occupied Government bungalow, built housing units on Government acquired land, and sold some portion of the land to people without authorisation.
He said officials of the Lands Commission and the police on Wednesday May 9 demolished all the illegal structures on the land and arrested Madam Nkrumah.
The prosecution requested the court to remand the suspect into police custody to enable the police to carry out investigations.
However, the counsel for Madam Nkrumah, Mr Seth Awuku, pleaded for bail for his client.
Relatives and friends of Madam Nkrumah thronged the court premises but were disappointed when she was not granted bail.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.