Category: Crime Created on Friday, 11 May 2012 12:15 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 260
Agona Swedru (C/R), May 11, GNA-The Agona Swedru Circuit Court on Monday remanded a self-styled pastor in prison custody for defrauding 20 members of Over Comers Church based in Gomoa Pomadzeof GHc41, 000.
Pastor Godfred Quansah from Agona Swedru pleaded not guilty to the charge and will re-appear on May 17.
Prosecution Police Chief Inspector Ivy A Agadia told the court presided over by Justice M. Osam that the complainant is Pastor Charles Andoh Otabil, Head Pastor of Over Comers Church based in Gomoa Pomadze.
Chief Inspector Agadia said in February 2011, the accused informed the complainant (Pastor Andoh Otabil) that he had been assigned by Rock of Ages Ministry, a church in the US, to recruit people to undertake theological studies in the US
He said 19 members of the church including the Pastor expressed interest.
They therefore paid monies totaling GHc41, 000 to the accused person to process their documents including passports and visas.
According Chief Inspector Agadia, the accused person brought 20 passports bearing the names of the victims to the complaint but later came for them for the processing of their visas.
The Prosecution said six months later the accused called the complainant and informed him that a delegation from the Rock Ministry in the US was in the country to meet them at their church premises on January 22 at Pomadze but when the members got there neither the delegation nor the accused showed up.
Chief Inspector Agabia said on April 21 the accused person again informed them that the delegation would be coming to meet them at the same venue but the members, suspecting Pastor Quansah of defaulting them, started demanding their monies from their Head Pastor.
The prosecution said Pastor Otabil reported the case to the Winneba Police who arrested the accused at his hideout at Agona Swedru and all the passports found were found to be fake.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.