Category: Crime Created on Wednesday, 16 May 2012 08:16 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 224
Kumasi, May 15, GNA – A 20-year old driver’s mate who together with three accomplices robbed a trader of his two mobile phones and GH¢170.00 at knife point has been sentenced to 30 years imprisonment by a Kumasi Circuit Court.
Kwadwo Kwakye and his accomplices also subjected the victim to severe beating, pleaded guilty to the charges of conspiracy and robbery.
Police Chief Inspector Isaac Mensah Appenteng told the court presided over by Justice William Boampong that the crime was committed on April 13 and that William Kofi Baffour, a trader, was returning home from the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital when Kwakye and his accomplices attacked him near the hospital’s mortuary.
He said they drew knives, mercilessly beat him and removed his phones and cash.
A police patrol team in the area chanced upon the incident and went into his rescue and managed to arrest the convict while his accomplices whose names were only given as Yaw, Kwabena and “Taller” escaped.
The prosecution said the victim’s two stolen phones were retrieved from Kwakye.
The court issued a bench warrant for the arrest of the fugitive robbers and ordered the return of the phones to the victim.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.