Category: Crime Created on Wednesday, 16 May 2012 19:41 Published Date Written by All Ghana News Hits: 362
Accra, May 16, GNA - The Accra Fast Track High Court hearing the case of Stephen Asamoah Boateng former Minister of Information and National Orientation and six others on Wednesday adjourned the matter to May 29.
This follows the failure of the prosecution to respond to a motion of notice challenging the capacity of the Chief State Attorney, Mr Anthony Gyambiby, who had attained the retirement age of 60 from prosecuting the case.
Mr Augustine Obour, one of the defence counsels prayed the court to adjourn the matter to enable Mr Gyambiby respond to the notice to ensure fair trial, saying: “ It is in the interest of justice that the case be adjourned.”
He said Mr Gyambiby had been nominated as Deputy Attorney General and therefore, only fair that the case be adjourned.
“We have filed an appeal challenging his capacity as the State Attorney because he retired at 60."
This assertion received a sharp response from Mr Gyambiby who retorted "I have come to court today because of the court's ruling that I can continue with the case".
“If I have been nominated, as a Deputy Attorney General, I can as well come to court and prosecute cases.”
However, Mr Rexford Wiredu, Principal State Attorney, told the court that the Attorney General's Department had not been served with any stay of proceedings or notice of appeal.
“It must be served with an appropriate procedure therefore, we do not know of any appeal or stay of proceedings.”
“In any way we are not objecting to the grounds of adjournment because we are not ready to go on today, I was only going to asked for adjournment.”
After these arguments, the court presided over by Mr Justice Charles Quist adjourned the case to May 29.
Asamoah-Boateng, his wife Zulieka Jennifer Lorwia and six other public officers are being held over the renovation undertaken at the Ministry and been charged with conspiracy to defraud the State.
Also in court is a non-legal entity, Supreme Procurement Agencies Limited.
The accused persons were alleged to have conspired to defraud the State of GH¢86, 915.85 in renovation works undertaken at the Ministerial Block of the Ministry during Asamoah-Boateng’s tenure of office.
Other accused persons are Frank Agyekum, Former Deputy Minister of Information and National Orientation, Dominic A. Sampong, Former Acting Chief Director, Ministry of Information and National Orientation, Kwabena Denkyira, Former Director of Finance and Administration of the Ministry, Prosper Arku of the non-legal entity firm, and Yasmine Domua, a businesswoman.
They have all pleaded not guilty and admitted to GH¢10, 000 bail each with a surety.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.