Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 22 May 2012 23:22 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 423
Kumasi, May 22, GNA – Five suspected robbers who blocked a section of the Kumasi-Sunyani road at dawn on Monday and robbed travellers of their money and other valuables have been arrested by the police.
Their names were given as Mohammed Ali and Damba Abdulai, both of them Fulani, Zakari Schwarchenegger, Hamidu Abdulai and Mohammed.
A total amount of GH¢2,600.00 and a Bank Identification Card (ID) were recovered from them whiles three of their accomplices are on the run.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Augustine Gyenning, the Regional Commander, told a press conference in Kumasi that the police at Mankranso received information about the robbery at about 0330 hours from a KIA truck driver, after he had driven through the blockade.
They quickly responded and on seeing the police, the robbers opened fire and that triggered a gun battle then being overwhelmed by the firepower of the police, the robbers fled into the bush.
The Regional Commander said with active support from people in four communities, Okurase, Dwinyama, Potikrom and Duayaw-Nkwanta, a massive manhunt was launched for them in the bushes.
This paid off as three of them Zakaria, who had disguised himself by dressing like a woman, Damba and Hamidu were apprehended not far from the robbery scene.
Ali and Mohammed were later nabbed through the vigilance of a taxi driver and the people.
Some of the robbery victims including Serwaah whose bank ID card and cash of GH¢820.00 were seized from her, had already identified the suspects as those who attacked them.
DCOP Gyenning praised the Mankranso District Commander, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Vitus Napen and his men, for bravery and professionalism.
He said the people in the communities also deserve commendation for their vigilance, support and cooperation that helped to prevent the felons from escaping from justice.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.