Category: Crime Created on Friday, 15 June 2012 11:56 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 409
Accra, June 15, GNA – The Motor Transport and Traffic Unit (MTTU) of the Ghana Police Service has arrested 66 motorbike riders who flouted the road traffic laws.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Mr Angwubutoge Awuni, Commander of MTTU, told the GNA that the exercise followed concerns raised by the public about motorbike riders not respecting the road traffic regulations and knocking down people.
He said some of those arrested were operating without helmets, or riding through red lights, or operating without licenses. Others had non-registered motorbikes.
He gave the assurance that the exercise would continue and extended to other road users to ensure sanity on the roads.
ACP Awuni said adequate measures had been put in place to check activities of other road users, adding, “We are in an election year and these motorbikes would be used if not checked to commit crimes and cause confusion.”
He appealed to political parties and politicians to caution their supporters about the reckless attitude of riding motorbikes without regard to road traffic laws.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.