Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 19 June 2012 17:23 Published Date Written by All Ghana News Hits: 441
Accra, June 19, GNA – A taxi driver who fondled the breast of a passenger in a bid to rape her and stole her bag containing money and two mobile phones was on Tuesday sentenced to 18 months imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court.
Teiku Tackie, 37, pleaded guilty to stealing two mobile phones and GHC50 but denied the charge of indecent assault.
The court presided over by Ms Sedina Agbamava convicted Tackie for stealing, and the sentence was to serve as deterrent to other taxi drivers offering services to the public.
It noted that Tackie had betrayed the trust that the public had in him when he used his profession to steal from his passenger.
The court said it was because of such attitudes that the citizenry did not feel safe anymore when they use the services of taxi drivers.
It was of the conviction that Tackie after serving the sentence would come back changed and not abuse his position as a taxi driver to the detriment of his passengers.
The prosecutor, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sarah Acquah said the complainant Maame Esi Asamoah is a student who resides at Laterbiokoshie in Accra with the convict.
On June 11, this year at about 1230 hours, the complainant, who was returning from church, boarded the convict’s vehicle with other passengers to Chorkor.
ASP Acquah said on reaching the area around the offices of Radio Gold, the complainant indicated that she wanted to alight at a spot but the convict and the other passengers told her it unsafe to get down at the spot.
The Prosecution said Tackie told the complainant that he was going to Laterbiokoshie so she should wait and after alighting all the passengers, would send her home.
ASP Acquah said the complainant obliged and on their way back home, Tackie took a rough road and when the complainant quizzed him, he told her that he was going to buy cigarettes.
After buying the cigarettes, Tackie drove to a dark place and started fondling the breast of the complainant and rubbing his hand over her thighs and attempted to have sex with her.
ASP Acquah said the complainant informed Tackie that she would prefer they had sex at the back seat of the car and as soon as she got up she started shouting for help.
Tackie initially attempted chasing her, but realized that he would be apprehended and sped off in his car.
The complainant was rescued by neighbours, and reported the case to the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit (DOVVSU) Police at Mamprobi.
ASP Acquah said the complainant spotted Tackie at Danquah Circle and alerted the Police at Maamobi and he was arrested.
When Tackie's room was searched the complainant’s bag was found and later Tackie’s sister produced the two mobile phones.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.