Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 10 July 2012 12:27 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 277
Tarkwa, July 9, GNA - A Tarkwa circuit court has sentenced a 28-year-old driver, Kingsley Ankomah, to five years imprisonment for stealing 300 bags of cocoa valued at 61,500 Ghana cedis belonging to Trans-Royal Cocoa Company Limited
He pleaded guilty.
Prosecuting, Police Chief Inspector Edward Paddy, told the court, presided over by Mr. Samuel Obeng Diawuo, that the convict was employed to Trans-Royal Cocoa Company Limited in October last year and was tasked to convey bags of cocoa from the various purchasing areas under the district to the company’s depot at Aboso.
He said the company’s depot at Layout, a suburb of Aboso, was full and the convict on one occassion was directed to convey the cocoa to the Aboso Nsueam Depot.
According to the Prosecutor, in February 2012, Ankomah suddenly left the company without any notification.
Authorities of the company within that same period Ankomah left checked from their records to find out that the number of cocoa bags he was supposed to transport from the various purchasing areas to the depots had a shortage of 801 bags amounting to 164,205 Ghana cedis.
Inspector Paddy said the company did their own investigation to trace how the shortage came about but it yielded no result.
He said the case was then reported to the police and the convict was arrested as he was suspected to be behind the massive shortage because of the luxurious life he was living after quitting his former job.
The Prosecutor said when Ankomah was interrogated he denied the offence but upon further search by the police one Solomon Akwetey, a cocoa purchasing clerk at Wassa Nkran in the Prestea Huni/Valley District, was said to have received some of the stolen bags of cocoa.
Inspector Paddy said on April 3, 2012, both the convict and the suspect, who is presently on the run were arranged before the District Commander of Tarkwa and they admitted committing the crime but pleaded for amicable settlement at home.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.