Category: Crime Created on Tuesday, 07 August 2012 11:36 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 219
Accra, Aug 06, GNA - Three people have appeared before an Accra Circuit Court for allegedly engaging in riots at Denkyira, a suburb of Accra, causing damage to properties.
During the riots which included eight others at large, a 15-year-old boy sustained gunshot wounds and was rushed to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital for treatment.
The accused Ayetei Tetteh, Quaye Anmah and Malik Okine are jointly being held for conspiracy and rioting with weapons such as guns cutlasses and sticks.
Tetteh and Anmah were additionally charged with causing unlawful damage to cooked kenkey and rice all valued at GH¢110 two silver pans GH¢25.
Okine was further charged for assaulting one Teiku Aryee until he fell unconscious.
All of them pleaded not guilty and the court presided over by Mr Francis Obiri declined to grant them bail and remanded them into police custody to re-appear on August 13.
Superintendent of Police, Kofi Blagodzi told the court that the complainants, Madam Comfort Dodoo, Janet Commey, Doris Deede and Mr Teiku Aryee were natives of Denkyira as well as the accused persons.
He said there were two factions in the village fighting over a parcel of land, and on July 27 the accused persons and those at large went on rampage and armed with machetes, guns and sticks attacked other residents in the village.
Superintendent Blagodzi said the complainants who fell victim in the attack reported the matter to the Police, who quickly dispatched security personnel to the area and arrested the accused persons but their eight accomplices escaped.
He said during investigations, the Police established that the accused persons took part in the riot adding Tetteh, Anmah and others at large caused damage to a ford Pick up and the cooked Kenkey for sale.
In the case of Okine, he allegedly assaulted Mr Aryee until he become unconscious and was rushed to the Amasaman District Hospital where he was treated.
This is the second time that riots had broken out at Denkyira, in the first incident several people including a chief was killed.
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
- House boy and accomplices get 85 years for robbing...
- Three jailed 90 years for robbery
- Court remands teenager for attempted rape
- Two soldiers jailed over Mobilla's death
- Three EC officials arrested over forgery of pink s...
- Court registrar in court for allegedly stealing 46...
- Two EC officials arrested over forgery pink sheets
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.