Category: Crime Created on Friday, 24 February 2012 09:32 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 352
Kumasi, Feb 24, GNA – A Senior Principal Education Officer of the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), Mrs Joy Anima Debrah has called for more effort towards child rights protection in the country.
She said it was important for human rights advocates to do more to create the needed public awareness about the rights of children.
Mrs Debrah was opening a two-day workshop for targeted patrons of human rights clubs in selected second-cycle institutions in the Ashanti and Brong-Ahafo Regions in Kumasi.
She said it was worrying that exploitative child labour, discrimination, verbal abuse, child neglect and non-maintenance, denial of education and in some cases torture continued to persist in the society.
This Mrs Debrah believed was completely unacceptable given the fact that Ghana was the first country to ratify the United Nations Convention (UN) on the Right of the Child.
Added to this, she said, were the array of legislations, policies and regulations the country had put together for safeguarding the right and interest of the child.
The workshop discussed child rights and responsibilities, fundamental human rights, gender equality and non-discrimination, sources of laws in Ghana, discipline and punishment, mandates of CHRAJ and the use of drama as a tool for human rights education.
The Ashanti Regional Administrator of CHRAJ, Mr James Dawson-Ahmoah urged the participants to take the workshop seriously.
- Police officer charged with robbery
- Supervisor fined 150 penalty units
- Pastor remanded for sodomy
- "I had cannabis sticks on me not the leaves" – a...
- Ghana airport security boss arrested in US drug bu...
- Driver remanded for possession human skeletons
- 42-year- old man defiles 12-year-old girl
- Police arrests hundreds of motor bikes in Tamale
- 150 suspected criminals nabbed in a police swoop
- AG intervenes in contempt case against Governor
- Second Turkey gold suspect in court
- Court orders the arrest of chief, elders over Ghc ...
- Suspected drug dealers arrested in Tema
- Court strikes out motion against Spiritual head of...
- Court jails Nigerian 11 years for dealing in drugs
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.