Category: General Created on Sunday, 04 March 2012 09:57 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 486
Accra, March 3, GNA – Ghana is to join the global community to celebrate the International Women’s Day with an art exhibition and special concert at Alliance Francaise on March 8.
The Art Exhibition and Concert is on the general theme: “Young African Women, Inspiring Futures,” is being organised by the African Women's Development Fund (AWDF) in collaboration with Alliance Francaise.
In a statement to the Ghana News Agency at the weekend signed by Ms Theo Sowa, Interim Chief Executive Officer of AWDF, explained that the art exhibition would feature local and international artists.
The United Nations general theme is: “Empower Rural Women – End Hunger and Poverty,” seeks to recognise the fact that securing peace and social progress and the full enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms require the active participation, equality and development of women.
The day is also to acknowledge the contribution of women to the strengthening of international peace and security.
AWDF statement noted that for the women of the world, the Day's symbolism has a wider meaning: "It is an occasion to review how far they have come in their struggle for equality, peace and development. It is also an opportunity to unite, network and mobilise for meaningful change."
It explained that Ms Adowa Amoah, Co-Director of the Foundation for Contemporary Art and Fatric Bewong, a painter will lead the exhibitors.
The statement described Ms Amoah as an artist whose primarily painting experiments with installations and photography, extends language of expression to reflect contemporary situations.
Whilst Bewong is classified as a contemporary artist whose work incorporates a multifaceted approach to the vibrant colours, textures and rhythms of Ghana’s social landscape.
Featuring for the concert are Sia Tolno, an award winning musician from Guinea and Radio France International Discovery Award winner of 2011, as well as Lady Jay Wah of Ghana who will perform a medley of inspiring music, including ‘African woman’, a song specially commissioned by AWDF.
- Security Chiefs to strengthen surveillance in Kuma...
- GAF reschedules date for recruitment selection pro...
- SADA, NADMO organise disaster risk reduction forum
- Minister declares 24 hour surveillance in galamsey...
- David Lamptey’s family seeks criminal investigat...
- United Nations Foundation launches Sustainable Ene...
- Poultry farmer appeals for government subsidy on a...
- Responding to child abuse is expensive- UN
- Schools in Secondi-Takoradi remained closed
- Government to put cameras on Tema Motorway to chec...
- KNUST to promote market-driven programmes – Prof...
- Food insecurity still rife in Northern Ghana – W...
- Parliament approves GHc 2,560,322.00 for National ...
- Coalition of Concerned Teachers joins strike
- Severe rainstorm hits four communities in Nkoranza...
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.