- Government assists market fire victims
- GES to distribute shoes to deprived schools
- Reconstruction of Central Market to ease congestio...
- Mining affects education in Wassa District
- Ground works on Volta University begin
- UK media trains journalists on financial reporting
- Government to implement contaminated sites project
- Security Chiefs to strengthen surveillance in Kuma...
- GAF reschedules date for recruitment selection pro...
- SADA, NADMO organise disaster risk reduction forum
- Minister declares 24 hour surveillance in galamsey...
- David Lamptey’s family seeks criminal investigat...
- United Nations Foundation launches Sustainable Ene...
- Poultry farmer appeals for government subsidy on a...
- Responding to child abuse is expensive- UN
Category: General Created on Thursday, 10 May 2012 14:27 Published Date Written by All Ghana News Hits: 706
Takoradi, May 9, GNA-- Officials of the Lands Commission and police personnel, on Wednesday stormed Windy Ridge, a suburb of Takoradi, with bulldozers to demolish unauthorised structures on government land.
The team pulled down buildings belonging to Madam Haggai Nkrumah at Windy Ridge, near the Takoradi polytechnic around 0500 hours.
They also ordered Madam Nkrumah to vacate a Government bungalow, which the Western Regional Lands Commissioner, Mr. George Frimpong, claimed she had occupied illegally.
Madam Nkrumah, who resisted the exercise, was escorted by the police and handed over to the Takoradi Central Police Station.
Mr. Frimpong told journalists that Madam Nkrumah occupied the government bungalow without permission from the Commission, or the Regional Coordination Council.
He said the illegal occupant had built additional houses on government land hence the demolition and ejection from the bungalow.
Mr Frimpong said the land was legally acquired by the Government in 1947 from chiefs and families in Takoradi for infrastructural development for the state.
He said the land in question was part of the Takoradi Polytechnic land reserved for future expansion, and warned that all illegal structures on the land would be demolished.
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.