Category: General Created on Tuesday, 07 August 2012 12:08 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 466
Accra, Aug. 7, GNA – The Socialist Forum of Ghana, in collaboration with the Committee for Joint Action (CJA), has held a night of poetry and music in tribute to late President John Evans Atta Mills in Accra.
Mr Kwesi Pratt Jnr, the Convener of the Forum, commended the late President for his desire to improve on the quality of education by introducing two new universities in the Volta Region and the Brong Ahafo Region.
He said it was during the term of late President Mills that over 1,700 communities had been connected to the electricity grid.
Mr Pratt said late President Mills was able to increase the capitation grant by 50% during his three-and-a-half year term, expanded the School Feeding Programme and abolished the shift system in schools in Accra.
He said it was unfortunate that the good works of leaders like the late President Mills could not be appreciated when he was alive.
Mr Pratt said despite the challenges of the country’s neo-colonial economy, the late President Mills took steps to maximise Ghana’s interest in the exploitation of her natural resources.
“He increased taxes on mining operations and insisted on companies in the oil sector to respect the laws of Ghana,” he added.
Mr Pratt said the country had lost a man who demonstrated modesty and tolerance.
Mr Kofi Attoh, Chief Executive Officer of Ghana Investment for Electronic Communication, described the late President Mills as someone who always wanted to do something to improve the living standards of the ordinary Ghanaian.
He called on Ghanaians to learn from the legacies of the late President Mills that include compassion for others, humility and above all peace.
Mr Duke Tagoe, Member of CJA, said the late President Mills was a fine gentleman who adhered to the principles of probity and accountability in public administration, the protection of the interest of the Ghanaian and the promotion of values of social justice, democracy and peace.
He described the late President paid his dues to the Ghanaian community as a young nationalist, a sportsman, a teacher, a lawyer, public administrator and an exceptional politician.
- Security Chiefs to strengthen surveillance in Kuma...
- GAF reschedules date for recruitment selection pro...
- SADA, NADMO organise disaster risk reduction forum
- Minister declares 24 hour surveillance in galamsey...
- David Lamptey’s family seeks criminal investigat...
- United Nations Foundation launches Sustainable Ene...
- Poultry farmer appeals for government subsidy on a...
- Responding to child abuse is expensive- UN
- Schools in Secondi-Takoradi remained closed
- Government to put cameras on Tema Motorway to chec...
- KNUST to promote market-driven programmes – Prof...
- Food insecurity still rife in Northern Ghana – W...
- Parliament approves GHc 2,560,322.00 for National ...
- Coalition of Concerned Teachers joins strike
- Severe rainstorm hits four communities in Nkoranza...
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.