Category: Local Sports Created on Tuesday, 10 April 2012 16:33 Published Date Written by GNA Hits: 524
Accra , April 10, GNA - Former Black Stars Captain, Kwesi Appiah has been appointed the substantive Coach of the Senior National Team by the Ghana Football Association (GFA).
The appointment thus elevates Appiah who was the assistant Coach of the Black Stars for about four years. The former Stars Captain was deputy to Milovan Rajevac and Goran Stevenovic between 2008 and 2012.
The Executive Committee of the GFA confirmed the appointment of the former international at a meeting in Accra on Monday ending weeks of search for the departed Serbian coach Stevanovic who had a year left on his contract.
The GFA settled on Appiah after it embarked on a head-hunting exercise for a successor for Stevanovic who failed to deliver Ghana a fifth Nations Cup trophy at the last African Cup of Nations in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea.
Information pieced together by GNA Sports indicates that Appiah is scheduled to meet the Executive Committee on Tuesday to fashion out details of his contract and is expected to earn 20,000 dollars as his monthly salary.
Coach Appiah who earned 3,000 dollars monthly salary as assistant Coach is expected to be offered a one-year renewable contract.
The former skipper becomes the first local to assume that position since 2002 when Coach Osam Duodu took the Stars to the African Cup of Nations in Mali where Ghana exited at the first round.
Appiah who won gold at the 2011 All African Games in Maputo as Coach of the Black Meteors according to information, is expected to be assisted by Kumasi Asante Kotoko trainer, Maxwell Konadu.
The Kotoko coach, according to the source would be asked to quit his current Club job for the national one that would see him have additional responsibility as trainer of the local Black Stars team.
- Injury blow for Sudan ahead of Ghana clash
- Kotoko suffers first home defeat
- Satellites beat Benin at African Youth Championshi...
- Minister wills Stars for victory against Sudan
- Ghanaian referees named for DR Congo-Libya qualifi...
- Sudan names controversial Eldin Ali for Ghana tie
- Sudan shelve Ethiopia camp for Ghana tie
- Medeama stay atop, Hearts climb on
- Hearts continue with steady rise
- Ebubiase beat Heart of Lions at Bekwai
- Medeama overpowers Faisal to maintain lead
- CAS dismisses Sudan appeal as Zambia stay top
- Shaky start for New Edubiase in Confederations Cup...
- Nania FC to play Bofoakwa in MTN FA Cup competitio...
- Kotoko demolishes Nguema
Inter-Bank Forex Rates
Click here to see more Last Update: 13th Sep.